Friday, June 6, 2014

Douglas Sharpe EDM310 blog post #3

I have always found it very difficult to peer review a fellow students work. The tutorials in this unit has given me the opportunity to learn what the correct steps are in doing so. Honestly, it has been a confidence booster in showing me the correct way to handle peer reviews. In the past year, I have taken EH 101 and EH 102 at South and dreaded the days that we had to participate in peer reviews. The tutorials in this unit provided us with the 3 basic steps which are compliments, suggestions and corrections all of these are very important while reviewing someone's work. The students that is doing the peer review should always start out with a compliment. There has to be something good about the work that you are reviewing. This helps build confidence for the writer and allows him/her to not get down on about the work that he/she has completed. The next is to offer suggestions, this could be anywhere from changing the title, word choice, using details, organization and sentence structure. The next step is corrections this is focusing in on the paper and being specific about what needs to be changed. This allows the writer to see what he/she did wrong and allows this to fix the paper before it is graded. I have learned a lot from this unit and hope that allows me to progress and do a better job while peer reviewing my classmates work. p

2 comments:

  1. And you want to be a coach? I would think you would insist that your team members critique each other.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Douglas,
    I think that compliments are a very important part of doing peer reviews. If we only told our peers what is wrong with this work, it only discourages them and may make them not want to pursue their writing. There is always at least one good thing in a student's paper, so I think pointing that out really does help boost their confidence in writing.

    ReplyDelete